Thursday, February 2, 2012

Best gift I have ever given...

We all dream about our weddings as little girls. We think about our dress, the flowers, the cakes and well obviously who will the groom be??? Planning my wedding was pretty easy for the most part and things went smoothly, until I started thinking about what will I get Drake for a wedding present?? I was at a loss, this is not on our list when we dream about our weddings as a kid!!

When watching all my cheesy lifetime movies that I love, I always saw brides give the grooms these amazing gifts, but these gifts were not in my budget, so what to get.. I was very stressed about this, and just to put it out there, I will let you know Drake of course was not stressed about this, because he just didn't get me anything!! :) I don't know how I still made it down then Aile, how come nobody told me he was just setting the stage for the married life of no gifts.. some one should have told me to run while I still could! :) kidding..

So anyways back to my gift.. after some long thought, I came up with what I thought was a great gift. Drake's dad had past away a few years before, and I know that he misses him a lot but misses him most on big important days/events and when he needs advice. So I decided to make sure his Dad was by his side on the day of our wedding. I got a pocket watch and put a picture of his mom and dad on their wedding day in the watch. This way he could have the watch in his pocket on the day of the wedding, and his dad would be right by his side to guide him. Drake loved the gift, but little did I know that this would be a gift that he truly treasured and thought of often.

Last Tuesday I came home for a day, and as I was scrambling to unpack and repack, I noticed that the pocket watch was sitting out on the dresser. At first, I thought this was weird, because it has a nice little home in a special box, it is never out. Then it came to me, Drake had taken it out and carried it with him to the 49er game ( which for those that don't know, was one of the biggest games ever). Tears started to fill my eyes as I thought about how special it is to know that at 30 something years old ( he won't admit his age) he wanted his Daddy by his side... I know he talked to him all about the game and realied on him when the game got tense!!

This is not the first time that the pocket watch has come out, he also grabbed it when we left for the hospital to have Easton. He had it in his pocket the whole labor..

I knew that the gift of the pocket watch would be great for the wedding, I just had no idea that it would be a gift of comfort and guidence for him for a lifetime, therefore, I just don't think I can ever give a better gift to someone.  So maybe I should just jump on the no gift theme like him :) .. Kidding, I just think it is the sweetest thing that he grabs it when he needs his Dad!



2 comments: